Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Child training anyone?

I saw a video on CNN.com (Video: Couple says spankings must hurt) which made me very angry. Angry at our society which supports the complete lack of personal responsibility. Why bother keeping people accountable for their own actions when it is so much easier to blame someone else?

So, the story goes like this. There is this book 'To Train Up a Child' which teaches parents to train their children to obey, and the authors clearly differentiate between training children and physically abusing them. There is no instruction in this book that parents beat their children up, the main focus is on teaching them how to behave and obey, not hurt them and discipline bad behavior out of them. So this couple of crooks with a lot of children ends up beating one of them to death (others have vivid signs of abuse as well), they are arrested and stuff like that. Guess what's next… The above mentioned book is found in their home and used as evidence against them. So now the district attorney blames the book author for the insane understanding of 'discipline' that this family had! In what universe does this logic work? To follow this chain of logic - if I knit a scarf and sell it, the person who bought it uses it to hang themselves - I am the one to blame for their death! That is outrageous on so many levels. I am filled with so much irritation at this whole victim mentality that I can't type fast enough to get all my thoughts out.

Anyway, just needed to rant. I am astounded at mass media's partiality as well. They are so quick to promote the victim mentality in our society. This annoys the heck out of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment